Blogging is a battle and blogging tools are your weapons. You have to choose the right blogging tools to win the blogging battle.
I am running two successful blogs (3 unsuccessful blogs) and a web development company. After that, I am creating an ultimate list of blogging tools for beginners as well as pros.
It is an extensive list of blogging tools. You might not need all the blogging tools as a beginner. Some of the blogging tools are for pros only.
This list of blogging tools for beginners and pros has various sub-sections. I have also added one or two lines of comments about each tool so that you get a basic idea.
But, before we start let me tell you to keep two important things in your mind. Every section in this blogging tools list has a free option. So if you are starting out, I will recommend going for the free version or free trial version.
The only thing you need to invest in the beginning is a good hosting service. Some of the free themes are good enough to start with.
Second, bookmark this page. Once you start making money from your blog, come back to this page. Find out the tools you need the most and upgrade to the paid version. As a rule of thumb, you should always invest 20% of income on tools until you reach $10,000 marks from your blog.
Blogging is a business. Like any other business, to grow your blog you will need to invest in these blogging tools.
First blogging tool which you have to decide is the platform itself. There are many options for a blogging platform. Some of them are
1) Blogger.com – It is one of the first blogging platforms. Google acquired Blogger.com after its initial success.
2) Blog/website Platform – There are many blogging/website platform. Some of the most famous platforms are like WordPress.com, Wix.com, Weebly.com, Squarespace.com, and Joomla.com. They allow you to write a blog. The major disadvantage is that they are not flexible. They do not allow you to design or monetize your own website.
3) Social Blogging Platforms – Most famous social blogging platforms are Tumblr, Medium, LinkedIn owned Pulse. They are good for visibility and getting traffic to your website. They are definitely not good if you want to make blogging your business. You cannot monetize them.
4) Self-hosted WordPress blog -This is the best option if you want to become a professional blogger. It is flexible, allow monetization and have a very large community.
Once you have decided which platform you are going to use, the next step is to use two blogging tools for a domain name. First is Domain name suggestion/generator tool and second is for buying the domain name.
1) Instant Domain Search – This platform starts suggesting name as you start typing. It also has a domain name generator tool which adds thousands of beginnings and endings. It makes your domain name unique.
2) Short Domain Search – Short domain search allows you to find a one-word domain name which is very difficult to find nowadays.
3) Wordoid – Wordoid is yet another tool which will help you find a perfect domain name. Their intelligent name generator suggests dozens of quality name ideas. It also checks domain name availability.
Or, you can search google for domain name generating tools and you will plenty of options.
Buy Domain Name – You have decided your domain name. Now you have to buy that domain name. There are many domain registrars from where you can buy your domain name like Namecheap, Godaddy, 1&1 and so on. My personal favorite is Namecheap.com.
There many hosting companies which give domain name for free with their hosting. Bluehost gives free 1-year domain name with their hosting. Other companies like FastComet give free domain name for a lifetime.
Best WordPress Hosting
The next blogging tool which you have to take care of is hosting. This is the most important tool in this extensive list of blogging tools. Your website speed and uptime depends upon your hosting company.
Remember, I told you should not spend on any other tool before your blogs start generating revenue. This is an exception in that list. You need god hosting to grow your blog.
1) SiteGround or A2hosting – Siteground and A2hosting are the favorite hosting company for all the bloggers. They have the best website speed, uptime and customer support. Their hosting plan starts from $3.95. Even this website is hosted on A2hosting, while my other 2 blogs are hosted on Siteground.
2) Bluehost or FastComet – Bluehost is the most promoted hosting company in the world. The reason is a super lucrative affiliate program.
FastComet is relatively new. But, it is catching up speed nowadays due to excellent support, speed and uptime. The best thing about FastComet is that they do not increase their price. Most of the other hosting companies increase their price after the first sale.
3) Hostinger – This is the cheapest hosting company I have ever found. They cost less than $1/month.
My verdict is to choose between SiteGround or A2hosting. They are very cheap and you will have peace of mind.
Next step is designing your website and its look and feel. For this, we will choose a WordPress Theme. Both paid and unpaid options are available. If you are starting out you can use free themes.
If your blog is generating revenue you should upgrade to the paid version. You can use WordPress marketplace like Envato, Mythemeshop and so on. My top recommendations are as below.
1) Wpastra – Both the paid and free version of this blog is available. It is one of the fastest theme available in the market. I am using Wpastra theme for the current website.
2) Schema – Schema lite is a free WordPress theme. It is super fast. The schema also has a paid version.
3) GeneratePress – GeneratePress also follow the freemium model. The basic theme is free but also have a paid version. I am using this theme in one of my other websites.
4) Authority – This is the theme used by one of the most successful bloggers Mathew Woodwork. It only has a paid version.
All the themes recommended above might not be the best-looking theme. But they have amazing load speed. Faster your website loads, better is your search result.
Site Speed Tools and Website Optimization
After your website is ready, its time to test your website for Speed and Mobile compatibility. These are the two most important factors in ranking after the content quality and backlinks.
But before we test the website, we will do some website optimation. These optimization tools are basic blogging tools for beginners.
1) Wp Rocket – Wp Rocket is a premium cache plugin. This cache plugin has all the cache features. It makes your WordPress website fast for getting more traffic and more conversion.
2) W3Total Cache – W3Total Cache is a free cache plugin. It is as powerful as the paid version. It increases website performance and reduces the load time of your WordPress website.
3) CDN – CDN stands for Content Distribution Network. This blogging tool helps to provide fast delivery of internet content. It uses a geographically distributed group of servers that work together.
After optimizing your website with the above-mentioned tools, it’s time to test your website. For that, you can use the below tools.
1) GTMetrix – Gtmetrix is a free tool that analyzes your website for speed. It provides Pagespeed and Yslow metrics. You can use that to fix your website.
2) Google Page Speed – Google Page Speed is a free tool provided by Google itself to test the speed of your website. It not only provides the issue with your website but also provide solutions to fix that.
3) Google Mobile-Friendly Test – More than 50% of the website traffic comes from mobile now. It is super important that your blog is mobile friendly.
Google is punishing those websites which are not mobile friendly. They lower its rank in search engine. You can test the mobile-friendliness of your website using this free tool.
No blog can survive without organic search traffic. SEO helps your blog in organic search. Hence it is vital for your blog strategy.
There are four different types of SEO. We use different types of tools for each specific ones.
OnPage Seo Tools
1) Yoast SEO – Yoast SEO is the only tool you will need for your on-page SEO. It has a completely free version which is perfect for a beginner. It also has a pro version which allows you to check OnPage SEO for many keywords at one time. Another advantage of the pro version is that it allows internal link building.
OffPage Seo Tools
1) Google Webmaster Tool – It is a free tool from Google. It helps in keyword research, duplicate content and keyword ranking.
2) Bing Webmaster Tools – This tool is like Google Webmaster by Microsoft. Instead of providing ranking from Google, it helps to analyze traffic from Yahoo and Bing.
1) UberSuggest – UberSuggest is a free tool by one of the top Internet and Social Media Marketer Neil Patel. He is the founder of NeilPatel.com and QuickSprout.com. This tool helps you do all your keyword research. You can also heck backlink profile for your website as well as competitor website.
2) Ahref – Ahref is one of the most expensive tools in this list. But it is so useful that every blogger must use it. It helps in Keyword Research, Content Planning, backlink analysis, SERP tracking, Site audit and many more.
3) Kwfinder – This tool is an alternative to Ahref but much cheaper. It even has a free version which allows you to do 5 free keyword research.
4) Longtail Keyword Tool – Getting rank for one-word keyword like “Marketing” is impossible for the beginners. The only way around is to target 3-5 word keywords. These are long-tail keywords. Long tail keyword tools help you to find those long keywords.
5) Soolve – This is a free tool which you will absolutely love. It basically suggests keyword as a Google search bar, but for multiple search engine at one place.
This is another very important factor in the ranking of your website. Better the domain authority, better is your Google ranking.
1) Moz – Moz is the best tool to analyze the domain authority of your website. It has a free version and chrome extension. It not only checks your domain authority but also your competitors.
Seo Audit Tools
These are extremely useful tools for beginner bloggers. SEO is a very long term strategy. You need to keep auditing your sites to improve your ranking.
1) Screaming Frog – It is a desktop tool. You have to download and install on your system. This tool helps you to see your blog from web-spider point of view.
2) SiteBulb – Sitebulb is an extremely powerful website crawler. Also, it provides the most insightful reporting system.
3) Broken Link Checker or DrlinkChecker – There are lots of free tools which check for broken links on your website. You don’t have to worry about it when you are starting out. Most of these tools are free of cost.
4) Seo Web Page Analyzer – It is another very useful tool for content optimization of your web page. It is completely free.
Image and Graphics Tools
To get more engagement on your blog, you need it to make it more graphical. Blogs with beautiful images get more share.
1) Canva – Canva is one of my favorite tools to create beautifully designed images for a blog post. It has a drag and drop feature and is very simple to use. The free version of this tool is more than enough for beginners.
2) Snappa – Snappa helps to create online graphics in a snap. It is a paid tool but it makes life a lot easier.
3) Sketch – This tool only has a Mac version. It is a design toolkit built to create an awesome design and artwork. It is again a paid tool.
4) Optimzilla – It is an ultimate image optimizer which compresses your JPEG and PNG files to minimum possible size.
5) Shortpixel – ShortPixel is yet another image optimizer tools. It helps to improve the speed of your website.
6) Compressor.io – It helps in optimizing and compressing your images online. Compressor.io is a lossless photo compression tool.
7) BeFunky – Befunky is a photo editing tool. It lets you apply photo effects, edit photos and create photo collages with collage-maker. It is a free tool.
8) Stock Photography – You will need lots of images when you start your blog. There are plenty of websites like Bigstockphoto, Pexel, Pixabay, Flickr which allows you to download the image. You can use them freely on your website.
Social Media Tools
Social Media is one of the most important parts of any blogging strategy. Luckily we have lots of tools available which make our life easy. Most of the tools have a free as well as the paid version.
1) Clicktotweet – Clicktotweet is the best and simplest way to advertise your blog on Twitter. The best things in the world are free and so is this tool.
2) SmartQueue – SmartQueue is Social Media scheduling tool. It helps in saving hours when scheduling your social posts. It helps your post to get noticed and help in growing business.
3) Buffer – Buffer is a Social Media Management platform. Bloggers, agencies and business owners use it to drive social media results.
4) Tailwind – Tailwind is a primary tool for Pinterest. It not only helps in scheduling your post but also tells you the best time to post. It also has a tribe which helps you get more shares on your blog posts. Definitely try their free version.
5) SocialPilot – SocialPilot is a Social Media Marketing tool. It helps you to increase brand awareness and traffic to your website.
6) Hootsuite – Hootsuite is an alternative to Buffer and has the more or less same functionality. Other alternatives are AgoraPulse, Postplanner or SocialChamp. All of them have a free trial. You can test them and use one with which you are comfortable.
7) Ahalogy – Ahalogy is the influencer marketing platform. It helps to connect brands to blogger.
8) Revive old Post – This is an amazing plugin which I found recently. It helps in sharing old posts and generating traffic to your old post. It has free as well as a paid version.
Social Media Content Creation Tool
To get more shares and likes on social media you need tools to create engaging content. Below is the list of tools which I use to do that.
1) Stencil – If you want to double your social engagement, this is the tool which you need. It is a simple image creation tool for marketers, bloggers, and small business owners. It has a free version but it’s paid version is also very cheap.
2) Picmonkey – Pickmonkey is easy yet powerful photo editing tool and graphic design software. You can start your free trial version and see if it is a perfect fit for you.
3) Pictochart – You need a beautiful Infographics if you want to get lots of traffic from Pinterest. It also helps in getting backlinks from major media house, Pictochart is the perfect tool for that. You should definitely give it a try.
4) QuotesCover – Quotes get lots of engagement on social media. The perfect way to create it is through QuotesCover. It is a completely free platform. You can use to make beautiful, well-designed quotes picture easily.
5) Pablo – With Pablo, you can create beautiful images easily to make your posts pop. It is a free tool from Buffer.
6) Vid to Gif – It is a free tool by Imgur which helps you to convert video to Gif ( Very popular on Social Media ). You just copy the link of the video and it will do the work for you.
Site Security and Blog Backup Tools
Site security and Blog Backup tools are very important tools. Especially when you start growing your blog. It helps you to recover your blog from any unwanted situation and malicious attack.
1) Wordfence – Wordfence is a free enterprise class security plugin. It protects your website from any hacks and malware.
2) Updraft Plus – Updraft Plus is World’s leading backup, restore and migration plugin. Millions of website trust it. You can rely on this plugin with full confidence.
3) Dropbox – Dropbox has been a life savior. Whether you are a blogger or not you must use this storage platform. It is important for all your important files and folders. It is free up to 2 GB which is pretty good to start with.
4) BackWpup – This backup plugin stores all your files of your website including wp-content folder. It then pushes it to external backup services like Dropbox or Google Drive.
Email Marketing Tools
Email Marketing is bread and butter for any blogger. An engaged mailing list is a gold mine. You might have heard many people saying ”Make money with a push of a button”. This is the button there are pushing every time.
1) MailerLite – Starting your blog and don’t want to use expensive mailing software. Completely understand that. MailerLite is a perfect choice then. You can get free unlimited emails up to 1000 subscriber.
2) GetResponse – GetResponse is very famous among bloggers. This is the top email service provider. It can send email newsletters, campaigns, online surveys, and follow-up autoresponders. It comes with a free one month trial.
3) ConvertKit – It is one of the expensive email marketing software in the market. But it is for the reason. I have started using them in one of my blogs and their inbox rate is crazy.
4) Active Campaign – Although I have kept Active Campaign in Email Marketing tool, it is a CRM in itself. It is an ideal tool for those bloggers who have launched their course and they are doing paid advertisement.
5) FeedBurner – It is not an Email Marketing tool but a web feed management provider. It provides custom RSS feeds and management tools. It used by bloggers, podcasters, and other online marketers.
Productivity tool for Gmail
1) BananaTag – BananaTag allows you to track and schedule emails, track files and create templates in your Gmail.
2) Boomerang – You are going to love this extension. It helps you to schedule emails send at optimal times, snooze messages, get read receipts & follow up reminders if someone doesn’t respond to your email.
3) Gmelius – Gmelius is a lightweight CRM tool that offers real-time email collaboration. It has a freemium model.
4) Mixmax – Mixmax is a Gmail based productivity tool which helps you to send engaging emails with instant scheduling, free unlimited email tracking, polls, and surveys.
Blog Editor Tools
I never write my blog directly in my WordPress admin. I write it on MsWord. Then I check on Grammarly and edit sentences on Hemmingway app before publishing my blog.
1) Grammarly – It is an online grammar checking, spell checking and plagiarism detecting platform. It checks your post against 250 grammar rules. It is must have blogging tools for beginners. It has a free version which you can use to start with.
2) Hemingway Editor – Hemingway App Editor makes your writing bold and clear. The app highlights lengthy, complex sentences and common errors.
3) Desk – Desk is a Mac only tool which helps to keep you away from any distraction.
4) Open Live Writer – Open Live Writer is like MS Word for your blog. It is a powerful and lightweight blog editor that helps you write a better blog.
5) Blogo – Blogo is a mac tool which helps you to blog better, faster and smarter.
6) Slick Write Web Editor – Slick Write is very much like Grammarly and can be used as an alternative to it.
7) Paperrater – PaperRater uses artificial intelligence to improve your writing. It includes grammar, plagiarism, spelling check along with word choice analysis.
Blog Post Title tool
The blog post title is one of the most important parts of your blog. You should spend some time getting a perfect title which can increase your click-through rate. More is the clickthrough rate, better will be organic traffic.
1) Headline Analyzer – This is the best tool in the lot. The headline analyzer will score your headline quality. It helps in predicting social shares, increased traffic and SEO ranking. It is a free tool by Coschedule.
2) Upworthy Title generator – Upworthy is a viral site and use lots of click-bait style title to drive massive traffic. This title generating tool will help you to create more clickable titles.
3) Potent C Idea Generator – If you are facing a writer’s block, this is a go-to tool for you. It helps you get creative with your blog post title.
4) Tweak Biz Title Generator – If you want to increase your social or search engine traffic by 50% or more, this is the tool you must check out.
5) AMI Emotional Headline Analyzer – Buying is not logical but emotional. People buy first and then justify by logic. Reaching your customer in a deeply meaningful and emotional manner is key to success. AMI Emotional Headline Analyzer determines the Emotional Marketing Value (EMV) score.
6) Impact blog Title generator – If you are not sure what you want to write today, this tool will help you out. Fill in the blanks with your keyword, it will generate an endless supply of blog topics.
7) SeoPressor Blog Title Generator – SEO Pressor Blog Title Generator gives you endless catchy topic headlines, title suggestions, and creative content ideas.
8) Link Bait Title Generator – This title generator is very much like Upworthy Title Generator. It helps to generate more click-worthy titles.
Blog Post Content generating Idea tool
Many times you will have Writer’s block. What to do in that case. In that case, these content generating blogging tools come to rescue.
1) BuzzSumo – Why to reinvent the wheel. Buzzsumo already tells you what contents are working and getting lots of shares. Create similar content for your blog as well and you will also get lots of shares. Premium version of Buzzsumo gives the list of people who have shared those content on their Social Media.
2) Google Trends – What is trending. Ask it from Google. Trending topics gets lots of traffic through a search engine and social media. It’s a free tool from Google and you should definitely check them out.
3) Spyfu – Spyfu is an analytics company and can be used to spy your competitors. Spyfu shows all the keywords which your competitor is buying from Google AdWords. It also shows keywords which are getting organic ranking on Google.
4) Twitter Trending Topics – Twitter trending topics shows all the topics which are trending on Twitter. You can use that data and write a blog on that topic.
5) Quora – Quora is a question and answer platform. You can check Quora to find out topics in which people are facing problems. You can write a blog about those problems and provide solutions.
6) Ahref Content Explorer – Ahref Content Explorer will show you most shared and linked to the content of any blogs.
7) Blog Topic Generator – Blog Topic Generator is a free tool from HubSpot. This free tool can give you year’s worth of idea in a matter of seconds.
8) Answer the Public – I personally use this site a lot. It is a free website which finds out all questions and queries which people are asking on Google.
While working in the office, you have a fixed routine and deadline. But when working from home business like blogging, it becomes very difficult. These productivity tools mentioned below will help you to keep in track.
1) Asana – Asana easily organize and plan your workflows and project. If you are using a team for your blog, you should definitely use it.
2) Trello – Trello is yet another organizing tool like Asana. You can use Trello as an alternative to asana.
3) TextExpander – TextExpander helps you to insert snippets like email addresses, code, signatures into your blog. It removes the repetitive work.
4) Freedom.to – Freedom.to helps you to block websites and apps for a certain time. It helps you to focus on your work and stop getting distracted.
5) Headspace – Headspace is a meditation tool. It helps you to focus, stay calm, perform at your best and get better night sleep.
6) Wunderlist – Wunderlist is a cloud-based task management tool. It allows you to manage your task and to-do list.
7) Rescuetime – Rescuetime is a personal analytics tool which shows you how you spend your time on your laptop. It helps you to be more productive.
8) Self Control – Self Control is like Freedom.to but only have a Mac version.
9) Bit.ly – Bit.ly is a URL shortener service. It also helps in keeping track of link clicks.
10) Google Doc – Google Doc is a free tool from Google. It helps in editing and styling documents.
One of the primary reason for writing a blog is monetization. You can use the tools which can help you to better monetize your blog.
1) Gumroad – Gumroad is an online platform which helps creators to sell their digital product easily.
2) Thrivecart – Thrivecart is a plugin from thrive themes. It helps in boosting your revenue with high converting cart pages and sales pages.
3) Google Adsense – It is a primary source of income for any new blog. You can generate revenue through CPM and CPC model.
4) Media.net – Media.net is an alternative to Google Adsense from Microsoft. It generates better revenue than Google Adsense but the approval process is tough.
5) Propellerads – Propellerads are pop-under ads which you can use to monetize your website. It is not recommended to use in standard sites.
6) Viglink – Viglink identifies commercial products mentioned in your blog. It then links it to the destination determined in real-time, advertiser-bid auctions.
7) Amazon Affiliate – Amazon had paid more than 3 billion dollars in affiliate commission last year alone. It is free to integrate into your site.
8) Clickbank – Click is the biggest marketplace for digital products. You can get up to 80% commission per conversion.
9) Affiliate Networks – You can join different affiliate network sites like ShareASale, Commission Junction, and Impact Radius to monetize your site. Lots of big companies are using these sites for managing their affiliate network.
“If you can not measure it you cannot improve it.” Measuring the growth of your website is very important.
1) Google Analytics – Google Analytics is a free tool from Google. It is a web-based analytics tool which tracks and report website traffic, source of traffic, Demographic and lots of other analytics. It is must-have tools for all the bloggers.
2) Jetpack Plugin – Jetpack Plugin is more than just analytic tools. Besides tracking your traffic data it also provides social sharing tools for your blog.
Lead Generation tool
If you want to make money from the blog, you have to grow your email list. To grow your email list, you need a high converting landing page. These tools help you to create a perfect landing page.
1) Clickfunnel – Clickfunnel is one of the most used software for the landing page. It provides high converting ready to use templates in all the domain. You can create your landing page in minutes using this tool.
2) Leadpages – Leadpages is an alternative to Clickfunnel. It integrates to all the Email Service provider like Mailerlite, Aweber, GetResponse, etc.
3) Thrive – Thrive is much more than a landing page creator. Thrive is a WordPress plugin which converts your website into lead generation machine. You have plenty of options like landing page creator, Popups, Offer bars and many more. It is very affordable and must have tools for all bloggers.
Some Other Blogging Tool
1) Snip.ly – It is an amazing tool. It helps you to generate leads from other’s content. You find an article you want to share. You snip it i.e., put a small call to action button to that website. Then share that content with the world. When someone clicks on that call to action button they land to your landing page and you capture lead.
2) Colorpick EyeDropper – I love this chrome extension. You can simply visit any website and scrawl the over it. It will snag the color code which you can use in your website.
I know this is an exhaustive list of tools and might be confusing as well. You don’t have to get paranoid. You don’t have to use all these tools at once.
It is the list which I have prepared over a span of 2 years of blogging.
So don’t get overwhelmed with all these tools and use those which you are comfortable with.
Do let me know which is your favorite one.